Business Development Manager - Harwell Space Cluster
Salary: £60,000 - £70,000
Grade: Band G
Contract Type: Open-Ended
Hours: Full Time
Closing Date: 3rd August 2017
Interview Date: 7th - 8th August 2017
The Harwell Space Cluster is a pillar of the rapidly growing Space sector in the UK and a key element of the UK strategy to increase its share of the rapidly expanding world space market to £40bn per annum by 2030. Much of this growth is expected from the satellite-enabled applications and services (downstream) market, but underpinned by a strong and vibrant upstream space sector.
The strength of Harwell in Space is underpinned by the presence of key players at the campus: ESA’s European Centre for Space Applications and Telecommunications (ECSAT); STFC’s long-established RAL Space laboratory; the Satellite Applications Catapult; and the ESA Business Incubator Centre managed by STFC. The UK Space Agency also maintains an office at Harwell. These core organisations constitute a powerful attractor to businesses wanting to exploit the UK’s considerable national heritage in Space. Leading global space technology companies such as Airbus DS, Lockheed Martin, Thales Alenia Space and Elecnor Deimos, have established significant operations at Harwell. Overall, the Space Cluster at Harwell has grown from just 3 Space related organizations employing 200 people in 2010, to more than 75 organisations currently, employing around 750 people. About one third of these represent foreign direct investment into the UK.
The Harwell Space Cluster Development Manager is a key post to ensure the continued growth and success of the Cluster, and to build cross-disciplinary links with broader range of activities at Harwell. The post is offered by the Science and Technology Facilities Council and has the following responsibilities:
- drive the strategic and operational development of the Space Cluster at the Harwell Campus working closely with the Space Cluster inward investment team, which includes the UK Space Agency
- build on the synergies between space hardware and software companies (upstream) and those who offer space-enabled applications and services (downstream), to create a vibrant and growing cluster that encompasses the entirety of the space economy value chain
- develop and execute a strategy for attracting international companies into the Cluster, articulating an offer which is attractive to space and space-enabled companies throughout the world, working closely with UK International Trade & Investment and other partners in both government and private sector
- work to exploit the cross-disciplinary activities capabilities at the Harwell Campus for the benefit of the space community and others, by maintaining and communicating an overview of opportunities across the Campus and its various Clusters
- support the development of new space related clusters managed by STFC at Daresbury and Edinburgh, working closely with the local Campus teams
- develop links mutually beneficial links between Harwell and other regional clusters around the UK, thereby growing the UK economy, including the SciTech Campus at Daresbury and Edinburgh
- build links with the broad range of multidisciplinary activities in Oxfordshire that can potentially engage with the space sector and support the role of Oxfordshire in increasing the global competitiveness of the UK in High Tech business as a whole, including working closely with the OxLEP and its Navigator Network
- work closely with the STFC Harwell Campus Business Development Director, to manage the overall implementation of Campus strategic partnerships, programmes and events linked to space activities on and relating to the Campus.
The position will report to the Harwell Campus Business Development Director at STFC.
The role will include the following aspects:
- support the Harwell Campus Business Development Director in maintaining the strategy for the Space Cluster, by identifying critical success factors in attracting key-players and in accelerating the growth of the space cluster through new opportunities
- develop and maintain metrics of Space Cluster performance and growth
- work with key partners such as the Harwell Joint Venture to promote Harwell locally, nationally and internationally as a business location for space and space-related companies, with the aim of attracting and retaining inward investment
- articulate the Space Cluster offer to businesses that are contemplating growing or investing in Harwell, by attending events and managing the generation of leads from inception through to delivery of an agreed development, partnering and funding plan
- manage enquiries from businesses, hosting Campus visits and provide appropriate signposting and referral to local and national business support and sources of relevant knowledge, technical support, finance and other resources
- share best practice in these areas with the wider Campus team
- support/lead the development of tenders and bid ensuring effective negotiations of commercial deals and delivery of successful outcomes
- capture standard data about the businesses involved with the Space Cluster and maintain the associated entries into the Harwell Joint Venture CRM
- chair the Space Cluster Development Inward Investment Group
- support the Connect Harwell bi-monthly event in collaboration with the Harwell Joint Venture.
Please see the full job description at: http://www.topcareer.jobs/Vacancy/irc241817_7293.aspx